You Have the Power

September 1, 2003 12:37 AM

Howard Dean finally realizes what's happening with his campaign is much bigger than him:

The most extraordinary moment for me during the sleepless summer tour, out of alot of extraordinary moments was in Seattle. I looked out over at least 10,000 people, a thick crowd all the way back to the buildings, and for the first time in a long time, I was nervous, not because of the speech, but because I realized that I had a huge responsibility, not just because we might win, but because you are all counting on me. As you know, one of the lines in my stump speech is that you have the power to change this country not me. That is true. This is a movement to permanently change America, so we will never have to go through what is happening to us now again.

More from the archive in Howard Dean.

You Have the Power (09.01.2003)

Next Entry: No Bush for Sullivan (09.02.2003)
Previous Entry: Prop-agenda (08.28.2003)

Paul in OC:

I figured this would be a tranformational experience for Dean. He likely won't be the same person at the end of the year. How could you not be transformed by having tens of thousands of people turn up to hear you speak, hanging on your every word, and putting all of their hopes for the country on your narrow shoulders?

It's good that this is happening now, so that Dean can accustom himself to performing on the national stage. I also see him as gathering reassurance and confidence from these rallies. It must be very rewarding for him to know that his ideas resonate so strongly with so many Americans.

We'll see how Dean does in the upcoming debates. I'm expecting a much more polished performance than we have seen so far.

Mon Sep 1 2003 4:57 PM

dhermesc:

Few Paying Mind to Democratic Candidates
Sun Aug 31, 7:17 PM ET

By The Associated Press

Most voters haven't started paying attention to the Democratic presidential race, says a poll released on Labor Day weekend — the campaign's traditional starting point.

Two-thirds of voters — including two-thirds of Democrats — were unable to name any of the Democratic candidates for president, said the CBS News poll out Sunday.

Joe Lieberman (news - web sites), Dick Gephardt (news - web sites) and Howard Dean topped the field in the poll, with relatively low numbers that suggest the race remains wide open.

When pollsters provided voters the names of candidates in the running, Lieberman, Gephardt and Dean were the only three in double digits in support from registered Democrats. Lieberman, a Connecticut senator, had the backing of 14 percent; Gephardt, a Missouri congressman, was backed by 11 percent; and Dean, former governor of Vermont was at 10 percent. Other candidates were in single digits.

John Kerry, a Massachusetts senator, was at 5 percent after being in double digits in national polls most of the year. Kerry will try to spark his campaign this week with the formal announcement of his candidacy.

Al Sharpton had 5 percent; Bob Graham, a senator from Florida was at 4 percent; John Edwards, a senator from North Carolina, had 2 percent; Carol Moseley Braun was at 2 percent; and Dennis Kucinich, an Ohio congressman, had 0 percent.

Four in 10 Democratic voters said they were satisfied with the current field of nine candidates, while half said they would like more choices.

Tue Sep 2 2003 11:35 AM

Paul in OC:

Can Howard Dean end the Democratic nomination race before it begins?

Tue Sep 2 2003 2:10 PM

dhermesc:

Anytime your being compared to Jimmy Carter you are not doing well.

Tue Sep 2 2003 3:30 PM