Internet privileges revoked!

November 14, 2003 11:05 AM

Socrates thinks my internet privileges should be revoked:

In my opinion the low point of the entire debate was when a question was taken from an online questioner, which read, “Would u reinst8 draft?” There are typos, mistakes, and abbreviations and then there are completely moronic sentences like that. The message it sends is that the youth of America are too lazy to type complete words, let alone vote. The person that wrote that deserves to have their Internet privileges revoked.

For the record, it was not an "online question" - it was a text message. So, technically my cell phone should be revoked.

And it cost me a dime, goddammit!

More from the archive in Me.

Internet privileges revoked! (11.14.2003)

Next Entry: Tom DeLay loves kids (11.14.2003)
Previous Entry: There IS another way (11.14.2003)

Paul in OC:

didu 4 real snd tha tx msg o r u jus funin wit us?

Fri Nov 14 2003 11:21 AM

Yes, and I posted about it the morning before the debate.

Fri Nov 14 2003 11:31 AM

Brandon Monk:

Well, I guess the fact you did it from a cell phone is something to consider in your favor, but I really wish you had taken the time to type out complete words. Text message abbreviations really irk me for some reason, but if you are ok with the impression it leaves then that is your prerogative. I do think it was a good question in content, and the media picked up on the format and ran with the stereotype since it fit the "youth feel" they were going for so maybe you are really a genius and manipulated the media to fit your desires. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt.

Fri Nov 14 2003 4:05 PM

Paul in OC:

Jim,

Oh, sorry, it was kind of a long post, so I skimmed it. I missed that you sent that text message. Kewl!

I don't think there's anything wrong with text message abbreviations. What are we, the French? They have their language police, who make sure that no new words are created without official sanction.

Language is forever evolving.

Fri Nov 14 2003 5:13 PM

Paul in OC:

Oh wait, I see what happened. You wrote back-to-back posts with very similar titles. I only read the second one.

Anyway, it was a cool stunt. Way to work the system, Neo.

Fri Nov 14 2003 5:18 PM

Michael:

In Brandon's defense, his statement that Jim's internet privileges be revoked was tongue in cheek and he mentioned it only in passing. His true objection, as I read it, was with the stereotype of the American youth as ignoramus, and that in certain contexts a more formal approach to language might be appropri8.

Now, please refrain from sullying Socrates' Front Porch by implying similarity with the French. Or I shall taunt you a second time.

Fri Nov 14 2003 7:40 PM

Yeah, I knew I was giving them what they wanted when I texted it, hoping it would air. I guess my new found movie producer instinct kicked in. I honestly did want to know how they would respond, and get people talking about the issue in general. What better place than the "youth" debate.

Fri Nov 14 2003 7:58 PM