Pat Buchanan on Dean: "the fighting underdog"

January 19, 2004 7:25 PM

Pat Buchanan of all people has great advice for Dean: Get a fire under your ass and come out swinging against the establishment guys.

Dean is on fire right now: "We will not give up, EVER!"

Joe Scarborough: "That was the worst speech I have ever heard."

Mike Barnicle: "He is toast."

More from the archive in Howard Dean.

Pat Buchanan on Dean: "the fighting underdog" (01.19.2004)

Next Entry: CBS...This is liberal media? (01.20.2004)
Previous Entry: Paving the way... (01.19.2004)

stonedown:

Jim,

I just read an article in the L.A. Times (today's, I think). It was a feature on Trippi and Steve Murphy (Gephardt's campaign manager). They're old friends with some squabbles in their past, but Trippi said that if he could work with Murphy in the trenches, he would dig the trench. I'm betting Murphy joins Trippi in the Dean campaign. Only problems are:

1) Egos. Who would be in charge. (Trippi, of course)

2) Murphy failed. Badly. Why would Dean want him?

Anyway, just a little intrigue to take our minds off of the drubbing Dean is taking from the pundits.

You can probably google the L.A. Times article, or just look on the front page, maybe, of the website. It's quite interesting.

Ah, what the heck, I looked it up. Here it is.

Mon Jan 19 2004 9:22 PM

dhermesc:

I don't see how you can put a positive "spin" on Dean's performance in Iowa. He claimed he would excite people to vote who hadn't in the past - so with record turnout he SHOULD have been the BIG winner, instead of a faltering third place finish.

There is one thing that the media talking heads have not touched on. Midwesterners feel alienated by the "powerbrokers" on the East and Left coast (consider the term "flyover country"). Dean had all the support a canidate could dream of, but most stories I read where of people coming from California and New England to walk door to door. I didn't read to much about the strong in state supporters going door to door (although I'm sure it was there). The media making a lot of noise about these "outside people" coming into Iowa didn't help Dean's common man image.

Nothing turns off a voter more then "Hi, my name is Hunter Anderson III from New York. I'm here to tell you dumb shit kickers why you should vote for Howard Dean". May not be what was said, but it is what many heard.

Tue Jan 20 2004 6:57 AM

stonedown:

dhermesc,

I think that is the first insightful post I've ever seen from you. Congratulations!

Tue Jan 20 2004 9:43 AM

dhermesc:

Pay closer attention, please

Tue Jan 20 2004 11:47 AM

stonedown:

LOL! Good response to my snarky comment.

Tue Jan 20 2004 2:14 PM