Blog round-up on Outfoxed

July 11, 2004 4:31 PM

Coverage of Outfoxed continues to explode over the net: Metafilter, Dave Winer, Dan Gillmor, Kos, Atrios, Alternet, etc.

Larry Lessig was our legal advisor and a huge help on the film, he comments today:

I actually knew nothing about FOX News before working on this film — not much time for network news, and I had only ever heard Bill O’Reilly once, on Fresh Air. And while I came to the project with low expectations about any news network, I was still astonished. As you’ll see when you buy the DVD or host a MoveOn.org house party, there’s a lot to be amazed at. The most powerful is an amazingly unFAIR and unBALANCED clip with Jeremy Glick and Bill O’Reilly. Not unlike (but much worse than) the exchange Georgetown Professor David Cole described. (Washington Post).

And Dan Gillmor:

This story resonates in so many ways. First, it shows how one small news team can enlist its audience as volunteers and create a powerful product. The decentralized reporting model here is not entirely new, but Greenwald and his colleagues used it perfectly. This is grassroots journalism at its most intriguing.

More from the archive in Outfoxed.

Blog round-up on Outfoxed (07.11.2004)

Next Entry: The Fox News memos (07.12.2004)
Previous Entry: FOX: "People steal our footage all the time" (07.11.2004)

Brian O'Connell:

I've got something at http://blog.spartac.us/?p=185.

Are the full internal FNC memos, quoted in the NYT Magazine piece, available anywhere? I'd love to see them.

Sun Jul 11 2004 6:19 PM

Yes, all the memos we have will be released on the Outfoxed website tomorrow. Full context, etc. so you can draw your own conclusions.

Sun Jul 11 2004 8:28 PM

Brian O'Connell:

Available to reporters only, eh? That's not exactly a good way to end corporate control of the media. What's the legal difference between a reporter and a regular citizen anayway?

Mon Jul 12 2004 12:03 PM

Jim GIlliam:

I have no idea... ask the lawyers. One thing I've learned on this doc is that copyright law is very strange.

Mon Jul 12 2004 12:07 PM

Joe Welnack:

"Fair & Balanced" is like naming a whore house "chastity". Appologists for the pravda of the right refer to Alan Colmes (a sorry excuse for a liberal; sorry Alan) and Greta Van Sustern, who at best could be described as a moderate.

Fox is a travesty, they pander to "family values", gay bashing etc. However, you will see some of the most vulgar programing on the Fox entertainment channel on cable.

What makes this outfit so very disgusting is their understatement regarding U.S. deaths in Iraq, and their bashing of anyone who questions the policy of President Bush. The Zionist "reporters" and commentators round out the whole putrid propaganda septic tank called Fox news.

Mon Jul 12 2004 5:26 PM

C.J. HOFFMAN:

Well done! About time the Fox crew is exposed for what it is. BTW, I saw the Moore film twice, and would like to know where the "lies" are.

As a Dean supporter, I am not that happy with Kerry, but anyone would be a better choice than the regime presently in power.

Fox is the house propaganda organ of the Republican Party.

Mon Jul 12 2004 5:37 PM

LINDA MILLER:

I HAVE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS TO MAKE COMMENTS ON. I WATCH ALL OF YOUR SHOWS EACH NIGHT OF THE WEEK, AND MOST OF MY CHILDREN DO THE SAME IN THEIR HOMES. I AM SO IMBARRASSED EVERY NIGHT WATCHING ALAN COLMES TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH THE CONVERSATIONS WITH SEAN HANNITY AS WELL AS WHO THEY HAVE AS A GUEST ON THE SHOW. HE IS TOTALLY LOST. HE IS SO GEEKY, AND LETS EVERYONE TALK OVER HIM. NOTHING HE SAYS IS BELIEVEABLE, EVEN IF IT'S TRUE. HE IS JUST NOT FORCEFUL AT ALL. ON TO " ON THE RECORD" WITH GRETTA. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE STOP PUTTING THAT STUPID GUY THAT WAS DROPPED FROM THE SCOTT PETERSON TRIAL ON TO SEE HOW HE FEELS THE TRIAL IS GOING? I BELIEVE THEY CALL HIM JUROR #5. WHO THE HECK CARES WHAT HE THINKS?? HE IS TOTALLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH WHAT REAL LIFE IS ABOUT. HE TALKS LIKE AN 18 YR. OLD BOY. IT IS VERY IMBARRASSING. I DON'T THINK ANYONE CARES WHAT HE THINKS. LET'S ALL JUST BE REALLY GLAD HE WAS KICKED OFF THE JURY. HE WOULD HAVE MADE A VERY WEAK JUROR JUST B/C HE JUST ISN'T VERY BRIGHT. SINCERELY, LINDA MILLER

Wed Aug 11 2004 8:03 PM

george bushmaster:

Today being labor day in the U.S., I thought you would all be interested in knowing that 7 Marines and 2 Army personell were killed in Iraq. Not counting the "wounded", who are treated like superfelous garbage at or hospitals.

At any rate, the "fair & balanced" Folksy Fascists at Fox gave this story all of 10 seconds in the news cycle, seemingly just throwing out a statistic. Then, they devoted a good five minutes to Kobe Bryant!!! The huricane in Florida got the balance of the "news".

That said, I am voting FOR President Bush! Why should any Democrat have to come in and clean up the fiscal mess and his foreign adventure. This country deserves four more years of Republican rule. By 2008, the country should be ready to turn the government over to sane rule.

Mon Sep 6 2004 12:38 PM