2nd debate -- rumors on the internets!

October 8, 2004 7:55 PM

My take is .. Kerry was slaughtering Bush in the first half until it went into domestic territory -- then Bush settled down, and Kerry simply won by a little. Overall, Kerry won solidly.

More from the archive in Bush, John Kerry, Politics.

2nd debate -- rumors on the internets! (10.08.2004)

Next Entry: The "experts" in FarenHYPE 9/11 (10.09.2004)
Previous Entry: 2nd Debate -- live blogging (10.08.2004)

Andrew Weevlos:

I think Bush was spun to hell on speed during the debate. Seriously.

Totally obvious joke but it has to be made:
GEORGE W BUSH INVENTED THE INTERNETS!!!!!

Fri Oct 8 2004 8:51 PM

Aaron:

Ok, look.... This blog is usually fun and all to read.... but when comments are left by nuts that think the President is using speed during a debate (and when you, Jim, pick up on conspiracy theories similar to this [ie. the stupid "wire" he was wearing in the first debate...]) it really drags the conversation down. Do you guys seriously think that with all the powerful people trying to get this man elected they would allow him to drug out before going in front of a national audience? Or do you really think that they Cheney would broadcast over the airwaves messages into Bush's ear in the first debate risking someone intercepting these messages?

And btw, did no one think of the possibility that the Pres was wearing BODY ARMOR at the first debate (being in 'public' and on a national stage) and that's why he had a buldge in his back? I'm mean, come on....

Could you please try to keep the conversations and debates to a reasonable level of sanity here? It might help in 'winning over' reasonable people to your side...

Sat Oct 9 2004 9:19 AM

I don't buy the wire thing for a second. I haven't posted anything about it, all I did was make a joking comment about Kerry patting Bush on the back.

And from what I understand, it's already been confirmed by his campaign that Bush was not wearing body armor.

But yes, Aaron, this is silly.

Sat Oct 9 2004 9:48 AM

August Kleimo:

Maybe I'm the one on speed, but I could have sworn that George Bush accidently refered to Kerry as Senator Kennedy. Did anyone hear this too? Or am I crazy?

Sat Oct 9 2004 10:24 AM

Dave:

Bush's "timber company", redux.

The $84 stake in a timber company that Kerry accused Bush as using to qualify as a Subchapter S (Bush loves saying this!) was inaccurate. The essence of what Kerry accused was correct, as indeed was the $84 that showed up on the income portion of Bush's 2001 tax return, but it didn't come from timber profits.

Looks like Cheney's beloved factcheck(.ORG!) from the "internets" got its facts wrong, as they've posted a hasty correction after last nights debate. Undoubtedly, factcheck(.ORG!) is probably where Kerry's team got the little smear nugget to use as a loaded accusation. Factcheck(.ORG!)'s correction may unfortunately mitigate any damage done to Bush, but still, the essence of what Kerry accused Bush of doing is quite true.

Here's the link: http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx@DocID=265

D's Anyone wont any wood? Heh, heh...

Sat Oct 9 2004 11:24 AM

Dave:

Oh...this is for anyone who doesn't want to follow the link above...

The $84 which qualified Bush as a small business owner for tax breaks in 2001 was from...drumroll...oil and gas productions.

Surprise!!!

Sat Oct 9 2004 11:30 AM

Tony Prentakis:

Bush must think most Americans are financially illiterate. For instance:

Kerry vows not to raise taxes except on people making over $200K, and Bush replies: that will mean a revenue shortfall. But Bush vows not to raise taxes even on _those_ people. You do the math.

Bush makes a big deal of the fact that "small businesses" pay tax at personal rates. If you are a sole prop like I am, you know perfectly well that what you pay tax on is your _net_: the "salary" you pay yourself _after_ expenses like cost of goods, rent, interest, and any wages to employees. If I make $200K as Schedule C profit, should I pay less tax on it than someone making $200K in salary? Dubya seems to think yes.

Of course, I'd happily pay less tax as a "small business" than a wage-slave making the same money. But this brings me to the overall Bush deception: my tax cut (and yours) is nothing more than an advance on our credit card. The national debt is _our_ debt. It is currently around $25K per capita. Every man, woman, and child in the US is $25K in hock. If you get a $1000 tax cut, in exchange for your share of the national debt going up to $26K, you are _not_ getting some sort of gift from Dubya, any more than your cash advance is a gift from VISA. But Bush evidently hopes you can't figure that out.

-- TP

Sun Oct 10 2004 3:50 PM

dhermesc:

You are forgetting the Fica and medicare taxes. With a Sub S corporation you pay yourself a minimal salary then pay the rest of the profits to yourself in dividends - you beat the social security taxes (Johnny Edwards could teach that class). Also health insurance premiums are not 100% deductable on a personal return as they are in a corporation with a 125 plan. Running a small business on a scehdule C will cost you much more in taxes then being paid the same amount in salary.

Mon Oct 11 2004 7:44 AM

Aaron:

Just wanted to point out that I am not the Aaron that posted the "speed" and "wired" commments above. Not that anyone here will no any different, it'll just show two posts with the name Aaron.

Oh well, I had to say something because I can actually tell when someone is making a joke as opposed to making serious claims.

Mon Oct 11 2004 8:10 AM

I agree with Jim. Kerry started out like gangbusters but faded. He won, but it wasn't a knockout blow.

Mon Oct 11 2004 10:48 AM

INGY BINGLEBOP:

K LEMME GET TIHS STRAIGHT...A BUCNH OF VIRGINS LIKE YOU FAGGOTS LIVIN IN MOMMA AND DADDYS BASEMENT THINKIN KERRY IS ALL DAT........WELL GWBUSH IS GOIN TO WIN PRESIDENT AGAIN AND THATS HOW IT GOES......DO ALL OF YOU FORGOT ABOUT 911? IF YOU DID AND YOU DONT SUPPORT BUSH THEN FUCK YOU AND GO LIVE IN CAVES WITH THE TERRORISTS YOU SUPPORT!

Mon Oct 11 2004 3:25 PM

ap:

fuck kerry

Tue Oct 12 2004 3:38 PM

Dana:

If I'm guessing correctly, you guys want a guy in office who can't make up his own mind? What if Alquida, (I don't know how to spell it,) decides to attack America again, but this time with bombs. Kerry here's about it, says lets stop them, but no let’s not stop them. Kerry has a wish washy way of thinking, and we don't have time for that. Muslims only believe in one religion and that religion is Islam. They're own Koran tells them to kill the Infidel. Even if you’re an atheist, they still want to kill you because you don't serve Allah. They hate everyone, but they hate American's most of all. Not because of the war, but because we are free to do whatever we please. Because our women don't have to hide behind veils, long dresses, and doors. Our women can do what they want to do. Our men aren't taught only the ways of war, but of love and of peace. The President of the United States can not pause before the bomb strikes. Kerry's unsteadiness is a danger to us all. Don't you guys see that if Kerry gets in office, we're all better off dead?

Tue Nov 2 2004 10:38 AM