I got bumped!

October 19, 2004 7:58 PM

O'Reilly's lawyer bumped me off Access Hollywood (sorta). It's one thing to get bumped, but to have the entire segment change in tone -- that really sucks.

Here's my cut segment (as posted on their website):

But with a public figure such as O'Reilly, there are always people looking to dig even deeper.

Jim Gilliam produced the documentary "Outfoxed," which claims the network's news is biased and heavily slanted toward the right.

"When the sexual harassment allegations came out I was like, 'People have to see this.' This fits into the pattern that he has been showing if you just watch his show," explained Gilliam.

In watching hours of O'Reilly's show, Gilliam said a disturbing pattern emerges. In taking numerous clips of his shows that deal with sexual topics, he said that O'Reilly's choice of subject matter is not always topical.

"It's not like all of a sudden in the news everyone's talking about the wet T-shirt contest in Florida. It's not interesting to a lot of people but yet he deliberately seeks them out," Gilliam told Access.

UPDATE: Apparently, O'Reilly's lawyer gave them an interview after the original segment (with me in it) aired -- so I was in the east coast broadcast, and the lawyer was in the west coast broadcast. Bastard!

More from the archive in Bill O'Reilly.

I got bumped! (10.19.2004)

Next Entry: The 9/11 report that names names (10.20.2004)
Previous Entry: GW on the Flu Vaccine -- priceless (10.19.2004)

Ellen:

Jim, I saw you! I'm in the Rockies but we must have gotten the east coast feed.

Tue Oct 19 2004 11:07 PM

Cici:

Just wanted to say that I totally love what you're doing. I'm planning on buying the DVD soon for Outfoxed, as I have heard clips of it aired on KPFK here in Los Angeles during Beneath The Surface. Apparently those right-wingers will do anything to see that they get their way. It's sad that people think what they see on TV is the cold-hearted truth, when it's just corporations seeing that they get their best interests met. I know it's impossible to find totally unbiased information, but I know I can at least find more balanced information. Keep it up!

Wed Oct 20 2004 1:21 AM

ollie:

i saw you. i'm in fla. it was thrilling. you're seem buffer on tv than on you blog photo.

Wed Oct 20 2004 6:49 AM

J:

Yeah Jim, you're totally a stud.

Hahaha. j/k ;).

Wed Oct 20 2004 7:09 AM

Outfoxed is one of my favorite DVDs. O'Reilly's propaganda begs for rebuttal. I'm very heartened to see the left getting critical mass. Randi Rhodes, Al Franken, Ed Schultz and Jim himself are making a huge difference both in getting facts out and in countering the ridiculous spin coming from the righty noise machine.

It's looking more and more like the right-wing punditocracy can't live by the morals they preach. What kind of examples are Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh setting? Who would want their kids hanging around with the likes of them?

Wed Oct 20 2004 8:27 AM

Please continue to direct all your left wing hate on Bill O'Reilly. Your doing a great job Jim, keep it up.

Wed Oct 20 2004 9:05 AM

Sounds like Rupert made a phone call.

Wed Oct 20 2004 11:19 AM

Hey Jim, Lets see the video of Access Hollywood if you can get one. I am sure all your other adoring fans like me want to see it too.

Wed Oct 20 2004 11:35 AM

I will try to track it down.

Wed Oct 20 2004 12:03 PM

dhermesc:

I never watch the O'Reilly show, and have only heard his radio show once, apparently I'm in the minority. Thanks to Jim and all his cohorts the O'Reilly has experienced a huge jump in ratings.

Fri Oct 22 2004 8:20 AM