Conservative CEO gets slammed on Gitmo comments

June 21, 2005 3:22 PM

Bob Parsons, the very conservative CEO of GoDaddy responsible for the, uh, memorable super bowl ad, came out in defense of the torture at gitmo and attacked Sen. Durbin. That was Sunday. Then he got absolutely trashed on his blog for it, and posted this retraction on Monday.

I have a hunch that if more CEOs published blogs, we just might change a few of their worldviews.

More from the archive in Business.

Conservative CEO gets slammed on Gitmo comments (06.21.2005)

Next Entry: Karl Rove blew Valerie Plame's cover (07.02.2005)
Previous Entry: Arnold's approval ratings now down to 37% (06.21.2005)

WTF is GoDaddy? A child support collection agency?

Tue Jun 21 2005 3:52 PM

I posted the following on Bob Parsons' blog:

"After Bob Parsons' "defense of torture", I would have transfered my domain in the blink of an eye, except that there are few other providers who offer private domain registration.

Despite Bob's contrition, I still think that GoDaddy.com is probably not the best place for me, because I suspect that part of the money I pay to GoDaddy.com will eventually find it's way into donations to the Republican Party. I can't in good conscience allow my money to go to support such a corrupt organization.

So, most likely I will leave at the earliest opportunity. (Unless I get assurances that GoDaddy.com will never contribute money to political candidates or campaigns.)

Hmm.... I wonder if this post will get by the moderation. Don't think so."

Tue Jun 21 2005 6:40 PM

It amazes me the support Democrats give terrorists, while calling American soldiers Nazi's. Why cant you get elected? I guess you haven't got your message out.

Wed Jun 22 2005 7:40 AM

I spend *a lot* of money at GoDaddy..probably at least $2000 this year buying domain names for work. And it really is a great service..but I agree Paul, we need to see if there are other viable options.

Wed Jun 22 2005 10:06 AM

At least he posted my comment, and he even replied to it:

"Dear Paul,

Your wrong on a couple of accounts.

1. I do not and did not advocate the use of torture. Surely by reading everything I've written you can understand that.

2. Very little of the money I make winds up as political contributions. Of the little I donated it went to both parties. The company however makes no donations. Any donations come from me personally.

Bob"

Wed Jun 22 2005 8:22 PM

The idea that Democrats are giving support to terrorists is ludicrous. Democrats are rightfully questioning how any torture was ever allowed to be done by U.S. military personnel or by contractors hired by our government.

If we are to win the hearts and minds of ANYONE, we had better live up to our talk that we stand for freedom. Bush, Rumsfeld and their apologists would prefer that nobody know about the torture that has gone on. They certainly weren't elected on a torture platform. The owe the country an explanation as to how the hell this happened.

America deserves to know why our tax dollars are going for torture--and why it continues. Republicans need to stop accusing the and join the REAL PATRIOTS in demanding ACCOUNTABILITY!!!

Fri Jun 24 2005 12:25 AM

Anyone remember the Stanford Prison Experiment?

This is human nature, no matter where you grew up, or when you grew up.

Evidently, Right Wing Bloviating Buffoon thinks anyone that has ever worn an American military uniform can do no wrong.

Shallowness of thought can not be demonstrated more clearly than he has just now. Those that can only see a couple feet in front of them endorse torture, albeit in a subtle way. They cite 9/11 as justification - but in doing so, they piss away the many years it took for us to accrue the moral authority we once knew as a great, righteous country. That moral authority allowed us to be powerful through respect. Now we pretend to rule the world by fear and intimidation, exacerbating those that wish us harm and increasing their number. Power exercised through fear inexorably leads to collapse. See ancient Greece and the Battle for Sicily. Hubris will do you in everytime.

To sum in a phrase: Bush's foreign policy is Counter-Intuitive. Might doesn't make right, it makes more enemies.

The American People are finally starting to demand answers. And results. The polls don't lie.

Lame duck, a la mode for the next few years. Hopefully we can keep this shantywagon together until we shake these numbskull Texas slicksters for some real leadership.

Fri Jun 24 2005 2:01 AM

When Democrats liken our troops to Nazi's, who benefits from that?

Terrorists

When Democrats call Gitmo a Gulag, who benefits from that?

Terrorists

When Democrats whats to hire tax funded lawyers to help Terrorists, who benefits?

Terrorists

Whwn Democrats tell us to leave Iraq, who else wants us to leave?

Terrorists

Should I go on?

Liberal actions aid and support terrorists. You can argue all day about the motivation of the action, but the result is clear. Kennedy and Durbin get quoted in Terror funded media all the time? Why is that? Because they agree with each other, thats why.

Fri Jun 24 2005 6:45 PM

Mike of the Great White North:

When American troops do act like Nazi's, using heavy handed tactics, flattening whole towns, shooting unarmed combatants, rounding up entire neihbourhoods in middle of the night sweeps, preventing food and medicine from getting into cities with suspected insurgents until the civilian population kicks them out(how?), who benefits from that?

Terrorists

When Gitmo is a Gulag, where Geneva conventions dont apply, documented cases by FBI agents repoting real torture methodology, who benefits from that?

Terrorists

When Democrats whats to hire tax funded lawyers to uphold the constitution and allow mostly innocent men who were rounded up in the middle of the night or were sold to americans as 'terrorists' by fueding tribes the right to a fair trial, who benefits?

The Constitution and Human Rights

When Democrats tell us to leave Iraq, who else wants us to leave?

Iraqies

Republican actions aid and support terrorists. In fact, Osama always dreamed you would invade Iraq but didn't think youd be stupid enough. I guess Osama had no better friend than Bush.

Mon Jun 27 2005 1:25 PM

Sponge Bob:

Apparently Mike has no idea what the Nazis did before and during WW2. It sure has Hell was a little more extreme then turning the AC on and off.

Mon Jun 27 2005 3:15 PM

Prisoners at Gitmo get better, faster medical care then Canadians.

Mon Jun 27 2005 4:18 PM

Apparently Spongey has no idea what the interrogators did in Gitmo, Abu Ghraib, and other U.S. prison facilities. It sure as Hell was a little more extreme then turning the AC on and off.

Mon Jun 27 2005 7:48 PM

Mike of the Great White North:

I wasn't expecting anything else from these guys Paul. Especially that nameless one. He's a real piece of work.

The real shame will be when the next 9-11 happens. The outside world really wont care. Even with all the history the US had meddling in external affairs of others, 9-11 took us all by surprise, a tragedy and a hard wake up call. Next time, you will hear the calls of 'you got what was coming to you'. Not for the people who die, but collectively as a nation for failing to stop a warmongerer though the electoral process.

I think there's nothing more to say.

Mon Jun 27 2005 11:49 PM

Mike: "I think theres nothing more to say"

There is a god.

Tue Jun 28 2005 9:31 AM

Its interesting what liberals dont find disturbing. They dont find the insurgents blowing up and TARGETING innocent civilians disturbing. Not a peep from the liberals about that. I guess they "got what was coming to them" for wanting to be free.

Tue Jun 28 2005 11:53 AM

"Mike of the Great White North:

I wasn't expecting anything else from these guys Paul."

Maybe you can read what "these guys" say:

Democrats report no abuse at Gitmo
By Stephen Dinan
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 28, 2005

Two Democratic senators just back from reviewing U.S. detention facilities and interrogations at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, said they saw no signs of abuse and said it would actually be worse to close the facility and transfer the detainees elsewhere.

"I strongly prefer the improved practices and conditions at Camp Delta to the outsourcing of interrogation to countries with a far less significant commitment to human rights," said Sen. Ron Wyden, Oregon Democrat, who toured the U.S. facility along with Sen. Ben Nelson, Nebraska Democrat.

The two Democrats were joined on the trip by two Republicans, Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky and Sen. Michael D. Crapo of Idaho.

Their characterization contrasts with critics, including Democratic Party leaders, who have called for the camp to be closed as a bruise on America's human rights record.

Tue Jun 28 2005 12:38 PM

For Paul, you know you want it:

Dick Durbin recently uncovered this alternate scene for Star Wars: A New Hope:

Obi Wan: "I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if a million of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and then, suddenly, silence."

Luke: "Alderan was destroyed by the Death Star?"

Obi Wan: "No...they turned the air conditioner off at Gitmo! Ah...AHHHHHRRRRGHHH!"

Luke: "Ben! What's wrong?"

Obi Wan: "They...they...TURNED THE AIR CONDITIONING BACK ON!!! Such suffering!!!"

Shamelessly copied from right wing news.

Tue Jun 28 2005 12:47 PM

That story about the democrats that went and visited Gitmo appeared in the NYT's. On what page? A19.

Where does every abuse story in the time appear? Front page. Liberal bias is so heavy you ALMOST have to feel sorry for the little liberals. Afterall its not their fault they can read past page 1, its Bush's fault.

Tue Jun 28 2005 1:45 PM

Why You Should Become A New Conservative.:

Um...yeah. Because, like, I'm sure those GITMO interrogators were sure to give visiting senators an honest, unstaged view into what happens there.

You foolish liberals. Always, you know...using that dag gummed brain of yours and shit. Stupid liberal media, having the audacity to report stuff that hurts America. They should take cues from WashTimes and Fox News...I'm spoonfed stuff that makes me feel like a true patriot. Plus, I don't have to hurt my brain dealing with stupid stuff that smears my buddy W.

So don't pay attention to that stupid liberal media. Deman uniform opinion. Accuse dissenters of being shitty Americans, or even hating this country. Because America doesn't have any room in it for plurality. Not in my conservative America, where I am the arbiter of the right and wrong of my neighbor's opinions.

Stop carrying IED's for the terrorists! Stop killing our troops! Let's keep the troops there for as long as it takes...like 12 years or maybe even longer! Recruiting problem? Recruit from the poorest neighborhoods, chase down kids and threaten them with arrest if they don't sign up, or even kidnap them to the MEPS station, just so long as we avoid a draft! (I'm not going over there to fight for this stuff that I argue so vociferously for...screw that)

It's really easy to be a new conservative now, you know. Come join the party - you haven't felt what a sense of entitlement feels like until you join the GOP! Plus, you can sit back here sippin a margarita and let all those inner city kids and back country idealists do all your dying for you. Anybody ever criticizes you - just prop the troops up in front of you like a human shield. Boo-ya, instant absolving of any accountability. The gravy train continues. Man, you can even accuse your opposition party of being traitors! And get away with it, without hardly any reporting from the press, because its neurotic about being labeled liberal!

I MEAN, HOW COOL IS THIS GIG?! And people criticize me for being a bushbot...man, if they only knew. Membership has its privileges. You can thump your chest with bragging rights, so most of your typical insecure-type guys are totally covered. That's like, 80% of the GOP right there. The rest are just uber-wealthy. But we'll keep that on the DL, cuz we need to keep that prissy limo type sissy man label on the left. Who cares if that applies to us more...

Tue Jun 28 2005 8:58 PM

Dick Durbin:

As the democrat whip in the House my comments about torture in "Gitmo" were based on accounts by a person I've never met and never will. Because of this I have to dispute the findings of my colleagues and tell them that their own eyes are lying to them. After "reeducation" they will se the error of their ways.

Wed Jun 29 2005 8:29 AM

So let me get this straight. If someone never goes and visits the place but calls it a gulag and our troops nazi's they are credible. But if someone goes and visits the place and says its acceptible, there must be a huge coverup and conspiracy hiding the truth.

Gotcha.

Wed Jun 29 2005 12:46 PM

You were given a friggin brain for a reason. For your own good, start using it. It's no wonder you choose to stay anonymous. I would too if I was as dim-witted as you appear to be.

Durbin was quoting from an FBI investigatory report. An investigatory report. From the FBI. Not a dog and pony show visit. If you choose to believe he's just making shit up, be my guest.

Just be aware that your gullibility is being taken advantage of. But go ahead - only believe what makes you feel patriotic. Just stop acting confused (like you are now) when reasonable people say things you don't want to believe. Or discuss rationally, for that matter.

Wed Jun 29 2005 3:29 PM

Sponge Bob:

Wed Jun 29 2005 4:46 PM

"Two years after ''the day America changed forever,'' the leftist culture is in thrall to the same dopey self-delusion it held on Sept. 10, 2001: There are no enemies, just friends we haven't yet apologized to."

Wed Jun 29 2005 5:35 PM

"If he was so sure of himself and his subject material why did he apologize for his error?"

Because his words were taken out of context, and he couldn't beat back the cloud of harpies who were taking chunks out of his flesh. So, he conceded defeat in order to continue on and fight another day.

Wed Jun 29 2005 7:34 PM

You know what Spongey? That's a good question.

And that apology is why I have little patience with the Democratic party. Don't even get me started.

That notwithstanding, as far as I'm concerned there was no error to apologize for. Durbin was speaking distinctly about interrogation techniques at GITMO as detailed in an internal FBI investigation of an agent who was there. Distinctly. There was no equivocation in his language. I mean, you have to willingly force yourself to misunderstand this. This is another example of the wingers only hearing what they want to hear. Truth be damned, because the truth doesn't make me feel all cozy inside.

What's funny now is watching the wingers try to paint GITMO as some kinda all-inclusive resort destination. Bad move. Tell that to the GI that suffered permanent brain damage after getting beaten within an inch of his life after secretly posing as an inmate during a training exercise. Yeah. That was on mandarin chicken wednesday.

Wed Jun 29 2005 9:07 PM

I guess Carl Rove was right, when the towers came down the Republican party prepared for war, the liberals excused the terrorist and blamed the US.

Thu Jun 30 2005 9:08 AM

"Anyway. Durbin's apology. The Dems could learn something about party discipline from the GOP. The minute that dude apologized I wrote him off. Grow a spine man."

Grudgingly, I have come to believe that there was no way for him to win that battle. Anyway, it's time to move on. I am also tired of seeing Democrats apologize.

I hope you had the opportunity to catch Howard Dean on Hardball yesterday. He did a brilliant job. People are getting tired of Bush's same old speeches and watching things slowly deteriorate both in this country as well as in Iraq. The Democratic Party is going to start picking up those people who are tired of being lied to/led by the nose.

Dean called the Iraq war a "blunder". Excellent. More of that, please!

Thu Jun 30 2005 8:04 PM

Yup. I like Dean. Scream and all. Topping the credibility thing off was his correct assesment of Iraq, right from jump street. Hard to argue with that.

The wingers will continue to call the guy crazy, unhinged, and irresponsible, but they call him that because they can't believe somebody is actually calling out on the ridiculous BS spewed from the White House.

Dean consistently provides accurate, tough criticism of GOP policy and the GOP is just not used to this from a Democrat. So they freak out and try to smear the guy. Dean's just like, "Go ahead. Foam away at the mouth and wag your finger. I'm not apologizing for calling the sky blue." He doesn't back down. More people should follow his lead.

Thu Jun 30 2005 9:38 PM

LUlu:

Paul and Dave E., you nailed it. Durbin is a pussy. Dean has brass balls. But hey guys, you need to focus. This debate about what the torture was or whose fault it was - irrelevant. The fact of the matter is this administration and the gasbags to whom the military must answer are MONUMENTALLY incompetent. (A big reason for that is because they're all chickenhawks and a 6th grader could beat 'em all in a game of RISK.) It's not like the U.S. has never tortured a prisoner in any other war. They just didn't get caught doing it. You have to be a special kind of stupid to let that get out to the American public. They have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Never have. Never will. They know how to play the game of politics. They know whose pockets need to be lined to remain in office. I'll give 'em that. But they don't know the first goddamn thing about fighting a war. Someone else is going to have to clean up the quagmire they've created. The current administration (in the words of my very redneck and USAF for 20 years Daddy - God rest his soul), "Couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the bottom."

Fri Jul 1 2005 12:59 AM

"Dave E.: NEW
I think Dean really has a forceful clarity that simply intimidates the GOP. He has a broad range of appeal and even scares the elements of the Democratic party that should be scared - the entrenched beltway Dems that don't know how to reform, or even sound tough for that matter. If they weren't so critical because of the dearth of opposition voices right now, I'd like to see a bunch of them get canned. Corruption and/or dereliction is not mutually exclusive in DC. But the GOP has the market cornered at the moment."

WOW, the Republican dream is coming true, the democrats are sticking by Dean. As long as you're giving gifts, how about running Mondale for president in 2008?

Fri Jul 1 2005 9:09 AM

With all due respect, you've never made an honest living so no one cares what you have to say.

Fri Jul 1 2005 10:47 AM

well that's quite the non sequitur.

Fri Jul 1 2005 3:08 PM

NJGuardsman:

I have had to my delight the great honor and pleasure of seeing my daughter graduate from high school (one down two more to go) – that’s a wonderful thing BUT as I sat there in the bleachers I couldn’t help wondering what kind of a world is she going into?

It would take next to nothing to turn this celebration/milestone into a blood bath, one psycho sitting in the crowd – that’s it think about that the next time you’re at any type of gathering.

President Bush showed MORAL & POLITICAL COURAGE doing what he did. Because of him no less then three countries pose no threat to the world. Because of that he is disrespected and insulted for what he did just because the rest world and the UN didn’t have the COJONES to do it. Do you know what it is to give aid and comfort to the enemy?

I think back on the statements made by Libs/Dems, these past few weeks and the above question comes to mind: Dean with his racist remarks (the only way blacks would be in the GOP convention is if they were part of the wait staff), Dick (and I use the name literally) Turban (intentionally misspelled) comparing the U. S military to: WW2 Nazis, Pol Potts people who cut unborn babies out pregnant mothers and burned them (smoke babies). I take GREAT OFFENCE to that! Do you even believe his apology, did he even say he was sorry? Do you think a man with such beliefs would change direction so easily?

WRONGLY accusing the U. S. military of intentionally mistreating prisoners – Yelling about the Geneva Conventions when they don’t apply. These people (and they are not worth me using this pronoun) are not “J” walkers, shoplifters or purse snatchers – THEY ARE TERRORISTS bent on the murder of those not like them; they have corrupted their holy book into what suits them. You accuse the US military of: making them cold, feeding them better food then what our servicemen & women eat in fact if we fed the prisoners the MREs we eat, THEN we WOULD be mistreating them. Those events are the exception NOT the rule. Those of you who lump the US military with the organizations I’ve named and what ever else you can think up, ask yourselves one question - do they still have their heads?

The (activist) Supreme Court recently judged against private property rights, further empowering the government and who does that hurt the “little guys” (like me). My brother-in-law lost a business that’s been in his family since 1947 because of eminent domain – the city wants to put in an exit ramp from a highway nearby yet the city didn’t touch the (black owned) bar next door. Could it be that it was necessary or could it have been that he was a white business owner in a predominantly black/minority city. This is just one way this ruling can be abused.

To those of you who say that the war in Iraq isn’t worth it try this:

You say there are no WMD in Iraq then why is the UN still looking?

You say there’s no link between Iraq & al qaeda check here:

You say there is no liberal media so just why is it that 90% of the American media are registered Democrats?

Fri Jul 1 2005 6:45 PM

"President Bush showed MORAL & POLITICAL COURAGE doing what he did."

Are you referring to when he took a cushy spot in the National Guard in order to avoid serving his country in Vietnam?

Or are you referring to when he dropped out of the National Guard, as if he was dropping out of a college class he didn't feel like attending?

Or are you referring to when he went on vacation and ignored 52 FAA warnings and multiple other intelligence briefings warning of an imminent terrorist attack on U.S. soil?

Or are you referring to when he continued to read "The Pet Goat" while the country was under a terrorist attack?

Or are you referring to when he disappeared for half a day in order to hide from the terrorists?

Or are you referring to when he figured out that he could use the national crisis of 9/11 in order to send young American men and women to die in Iraq, so that he could avenge an attempt made on the life of his father?

Or are you referring to the loyalty oaths he makes people sign in order to see him speak, so that he doesn't have to confront anyone who disagrees with him?

Or are you referring to how he canned the military officers who warned him that invading and occupying Iraq would require more troops, and he rewarded the people who told him that it would be over in 6 days to 6 months and would only require a few tens of thousands of soldiers to occupy the entire country?

I guess your definition of courage is a little different from mine.

Fri Jul 1 2005 8:01 PM

"These people (and they are not worth me using this pronoun) are not “J” walkers, shoplifters or purse snatchers – THEY ARE TERRORISTS bent on the murder of those not like them"

Huh. Interesting. Because a CIA analyst visited Gitmo in 2002 and concluded that the U.S. was committing war crimes and that more than half of the prisoners didn't belong there.

But, since you've convicted them all in your mind, they must be guilty. Every last one.

Fri Jul 1 2005 8:08 PM

NJGuardsman:

I serve in my state’s National Guard, does that make me any less a soldier? Take a good look at the job the National Guard has been doing and tell me if I'm any less ready willing and able to fight for my country.

He (Bush) was given an out by the National Guard; this was after the Vietnam War when the Air Force had a Glut of pilots.

The next two points I'm not going to dignify with a remark.

Apparently you didn’t know the White House was a target on 9/11 so if the White House was a target - who lives in the White House? You guessed it. So do you think it's a smart thing to announce where the President is?

First you guys said he’s an idiot, a cowboy he cant even speak in public – when that didn’t work he’s set up this whole conspiracy by himself so which is it?

“Loyalty Oaths” I hope you hold Hillary Clinton to the same level that you accuse Bush of ‘cause she does the same thing so do you criticize equally?

As Commander N Chief he has the rite to make those decisions.

Yes you are correct my definition of courage is vastly different then mine

Fri Jul 1 2005 8:50 PM

NJGuardsman:

CORRECTION:

Yes you are correct my definition of courage is vastly different then yours

Fri Jul 1 2005 8:51 PM

NJ - congratulations on your daughter's graduation.

When's her port of call?

Fri Jul 1 2005 11:21 PM

NJGuardsman:

Kean College NJ

Sat Jul 2 2005 11:10 AM

Our Army is volunteer.

Sat Jul 2 2005 12:04 PM

A very deft observation indeed. Where's your cape captain obvious?

NJ:
Allow me to rephrase. Port of call is a military term describing the city where someone leaves from to deploy overseas.

So, to be more clear, when is she deploying to Iraq?

You know, Bush himself declares there to be no more higher and honorable calling. Surely this would make you an even prouder parent and also reinforce your belief in this war being the preeminant cause of our time.

Once upon a time, even those fortunate kids with a myriad of options in front of them after HS graduation actually felt obligated to serve their country. No doubt you've passed this sense of obligation on to your kids, especially considering the kinds of things you have written on this here site. I wouldn't dream to imagine that you being such a vocal supporter of this Iraq venture didn't mean you also put your words into actions.

So give my best to her as she goes off to defend the freedoms we enjoy here in America. In Iraq.

Sat Jul 2 2005 12:46 PM

Im sure he would be proud with whatever choice she made.

Sat Jul 2 2005 2:04 PM

NJGuardsman:

Sir,

With all due resect, please allow me to give you a "Call Sign" (for lack of a better word), from now on why dont you call yourself "Mr Unknown"

For the record I did know what Dave E was eluding to, if my daughter would decide to join the military it would totally her decision, I would be equally as proud as I am now with the path she has chosen.
My daughter strengthens my resolve, makes me all the more determined, that I will do all I am able and support those doing the same to protect this country against all enemies foreign & domestic no matter where they might be (that’s the way I feel corny as it my sound).

Sat Jul 2 2005 10:39 PM

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
[...]
To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
[...]
He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
[...]
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
[...]
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
[...]
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
[...]
He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
[...]
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."

"Let facts be considered to a candid world." Yes, believe it or not, the court of world opinion was THE place our Declaration of Independance was largely directed. Indeed, that is how a state defines its legitimacy and is able to call itself sovereign.

I suppose the same wingers that smeared Kerry for taking an internationalist approach to foreign policy, would be the very same people calling the American revolutionaries 'haters of freedom' or 'traitors'. Conservative, by the very word's definition, is the resistance of change. So how do you conservatives paint the American Revolution? An exception to the rule?

Reading it all over again, it sounds like it could've been written today.

Sun Jul 3 2005 1:27 AM

You forgot the rest:
THAT WHENEVER ANY FORM OF GOVERNMENT BECOMES DESTRUCTIVE OF THESE ENDS, IT IS THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO ALTER OR ABOLISH IT, AND INSTUTE A NEW GOVERNMENT

On June 24, 1826, Thomas Jefferson sent a letter to Roger C. Weightman, declining an invitation to come to Washington, D.C., to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of independence. It was the last letter, Jefferson, who was gravely ill, ever wrote. In it, Jefferson says of the document:

May it be to the world, what I believe it will be ... the signal of arousing men to burst the chains ... and to assume the blessings and security of self-government. That form, which we have substituted, restores the free right to the unbounded exercise of reason and freedom of opinion. All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. ... For ourselves, let the annual return of this day forever refresh our ecollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them.

You will soon see a lot of people wearing Red on Fridays. Here's why..... The Americans, who support our troops, are the silent majority. We are not "organized" to reflect who we are, or
to reflect what our opinions are. Many Americans, like yourself, and all their friends, simply want to recognize that Americans support our troops.

Our idea of showing our solidarity and support for our troops is starting Friday and continuing on each and every Friday, until this is over, that every red -blooded American who supports our young men and women, WEAR SOMETHING RED.

Word of mouth, press, TV -- let's see if we can make the United States, on any given Friday, a sea of red much like a home football game at a University. If every one of our memberships share this with other acquaintances, fellow workers, friends, and neighbors, I guarantee that it will not be long before the USA will be covered
in RED - and make our troops know there are many people thinking of their well-being. You will feel better all day Friday when you wear
Red! So let's get the word out and lead by example; wear RED on Fridays.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND THEIR MISSION!

Sun Jul 3 2005 8:57 AM

patriot:

Great idea! I'll be wearing something blue to show my support for the troops.

Sun Jul 3 2005 2:49 PM

I thought it was white? Wear white on Fridays, right?

Sun Jul 3 2005 6:49 PM

What about Bush's statement "...we're fighting the terrorists over THERE so we don't have to fight them HERE"?

Note that we're not telling the Iraqis that. Apparently the finer points of the Iraqi liberation [the one they didn't request] included: 1) death of tens of thousands of innocent civilians via collateral damage; 2) a perpetual war IN THEIR COUNTRY against terrrorists who will be drawn there 'fly paper'. Then there are the permanent military bases that are being built while we simultaneousy insist we don't intend to stay. Right.

Is this really supposed to win the hearts and minds of Iraqis?

About the only people who seem to be motivated right now are the Jihadists and the Iraqis who want a country free of ALL foreigners--that includes Americans.

Stay tuned for more of George and Dick's Bogus Journey.

Mon Jul 11 2005 5:23 PM

NJGuardsman:

"...with liberty and justice for all." is more than just a slogan. In America we should all support the rule of law. Despite Rove's and Bush's attempts to the contrary, we still have a functioning judiciary. I say let's all be good Americans and let them do their jobs!” – Remember these words!!!

Tribunals are legal at Club Gitmo!!! (No wonder you don’t hear anything in the press about it anymore, oh but they have no bias) put up another one for “truth JUSTICE and the American Way!”

Wed Jul 20 2005 8:02 AM

Lunis:

"...part of the money I pay to GoDaddy.com will eventually find it's way into donations to the Republican Party. I can't in good conscience allow my money to go to support such a corrupt organization."

The republican party is not a corrupt organization. Just because you see a ton of republicans who are total screwups dosen't mean that even a mild percentage (40-50%) of republicans are like that. I find your rationalization typical of today's uber-liberals, and completely shit. :]

Sat Jun 17 2006 11:37 AM

RandomPrecision:

Hey, I bet you followed that link from Slashdot.

You realize this is about a year old, right?

Sat Jun 17 2006 2:58 PM