Thanks for the support

August 11, 2005 5:49 PM

Thank you everyone for your emails, ideas, encouragement, and links. This is really helpful. One interesting story Paul sent is a person who has been able to stall the progression of their pulmonary fibrosis with a regimen of Chinese medicine. And an old colleague of mine recommended a good local person with experience in those types of treatments.

Something to investigate more. So keep them coming. Maybe I should set up a wiki to keep track of all this. Open source my lungs!

And yes, I'm definitely going to get further opinions once I have the biopsy. Sounds like no matter who I go to, they're going to need that data point. Treatment-wise, I'm not going into the steroid/chemo regimen w/o exploring other options, that is for sure. I've been down the prednisone road before, and it really sucks.

Lucky for me, I'm not much of an outdoor guy -- I enjoy spending a lot of time in front of the computer, so I can be perfectly happy without going on wilderness hikes. I do like to dance though, and haven't been able to for awhile. I'd like to do that again.

More from the archive in Me, My Health.

Thanks for the support (08.11.2005)

Next Entry: Shame on both your houses! (08.11.2005)
Previous Entry: I'm gonna die young (08.11.2005)

Ellen:

Jim,
I'm just devestated by the news. I'm glad to know you are looking into other options because there are many people who beat "the odds" and didn't take their doctor's word as the final say so.

Please know I'm sending you all my good thoughts and positive energy.

Thu Aug 11 2005 6:29 PM

dad:

Jim is the bravest person I know. I have seen him go through many unbelievable treatments, difficult decisions, repeatedly fighting death head on, and being there when his Mom died of cancer. I love him so much.

dad

Thu Aug 11 2005 7:20 PM

SView:

Please be careful about alternative therapies. Anecdotes are not evidence and can be very misleading, but they can also be very enticing in difficult circumstances.

Please keep up the good fights against disease and tyranny.

Thu Aug 11 2005 8:15 PM

Yeah, and when these alternative things are ever put up for real tests, the results frequently come back inconclusive, or worse.

But when you get to the point where you're talking about eeking out a bit more time, or a little better quality for the time you do have, what you do or don't put in your body, probably does matter.

Thu Aug 11 2005 8:33 PM

Madeline:

Jim,
I am so sad. You know I think you're great. I am pulling for you - and - would love to see you dance. I'll keep up to date with your postings. Your Dad's note really touched me - I can picture him now.

Thu Aug 11 2005 10:28 PM

Steve K.:

Jim,

Stephen Shields just told me about your health condition, man! I have no medical advice for you, but you know I believe in prayer, so that's what I'm doing, bro.

Shalom,
Steve K.

Mon Aug 15 2005 10:37 PM

robert:

Jim...all your friends, pals and buddies at brave new films are with you. Your energy, smarts and ideas are a rare pleasure. You will get through this and all your friends will celebrate big time. robert

Mon Aug 15 2005 10:42 PM

Hania:

From Munich----I wish you all the best.. along with many other europeans who had recently seen your film and are very thankful for your contribution to modern propaganda studies.

Tue Aug 16 2005 1:54 PM

gregory:

I stumbled on this post while doing regular searches for Pulmonary Fibrosis in my RSS reader. Just thought I'd send along some support. I was diagnosed with IPF back in 2000 and after doing the steroid thing and the Imuran thing finally decided to start down the road to Lung Transplant. Finally got the transplant back in April and already things are much better (though still difficult in different ways).
Good luck and keep fighting!

Wed Aug 17 2005 11:27 AM