Bush involved in leaking of Valerie Plame's identity?

October 2, 2005 2:24 PM

George Stephanopoulos has a source who says yes... this morning: "Definitely a political problem but I wonder, George Will, do you think it’s a manageable one for the White House especially if we don’t know whether Fitzgerald is going to write a report or have indictments but if he is able to show as a source close to this told me this week, that President Bush and Vice President Cheney were actually involved in some of these discussions."

And Newsweek's cover story touts Dark days for the Republican Party.

UPDATE: Also, Kos points to today's WaPo with speculation that Fitzgerald may be going after a conspiracy charge which would widen the scope to everyone directly involved in conspiring to blow Valerie Plame's cover.

More from the archive in Intelligence, Lies and Deceit, Valerie Plame.

Bush involved in leaking of Valerie Plame's identity? (10.02.2005)

Next Entry: The Bushies are lying to each other! (10.09.2005)
Previous Entry: How not to tell someone you think they should die (09.28.2005)

Our wonderful national press. Some of them have decided it's time to pile on the president. Not when it could have done some good, but only after it's too late.

Sun Oct 2 2005 11:23 PM

You democrats have been piling on the President constantly everyday for years. Nothing new here.

Mon Oct 3 2005 11:19 AM

Mike of the Great White North:

Republicans vilified and tore Clinton a new one for his entire term. You saying Republicans are the only ones allowed to be treasonous (if we use Coulter's logic)?

Mon Oct 3 2005 1:25 PM

Did I say that?

Mon Oct 3 2005 1:57 PM

The issue is not "piling on the President". That's legal in our system of government despite the loyalty 端ber alles credo invoked by many on the right.

Republicans, patriots of all political stripes, and everyone who believes in the rule of law should be for an investigation to find out if Bush or Cheney compromised national security for political purposes. Any malfeasance should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Isn't this principle stated at the end of the pledge of allegiance? Remember, "... with liberty and justice for all." I'd ask my Republican friends why it's so important to have kids recite this if they don't intend to honor it.

Tue Oct 4 2005 12:05 PM

As long as they honor the "under god" part too, otherwise your logic is flawed.

Tue Oct 4 2005 7:34 PM

No, my logic isn't flawed. The original pledge was written by Francis Bellamy in 1892: I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the Republic for which its stands; one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The pledge highlighted the egalitarian nature of justice in America.

The lesson is simple. America holds all its citizens accountable--EVEN IT'S LEADERS, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE POPULAR, THEY ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW! George Bush and Dick Cheney can be hauled into criminal court just like ordinary citizens. For that matter so can Rush Limbaugh and Tom DeLay.

Isn't this a great country?

Wed Oct 5 2005 12:52 AM

Yeah, Eisenhower added the "under God" part in 1954.

Wed Oct 5 2005 11:45 AM

I would love to see the history of the Pledge of Allegiance taught. That would be much better than simply insisting that every student recite it.

It bothers me when kids are forced to recite words without understanding where they came from, what they used to mean, and what they mean now.

The Pledge, like the flag itself, is an inherently ambiguous symbol. Both have been used to justify war, yet both can and should be used to promote peace.

Thu Oct 6 2005 11:47 AM

With all your talk you are just partisen hacks. Dont call yourselves anything more. Feel free to link to any headline blog pointing out an illegal act buy a democrat.

Waiting...

Waiting....

Fri Oct 7 2005 12:20 PM

I'm really not a partisan hack. I think Olympia Snowe and John McCain have made positive contributions in keeping their own party out of the control of the religious right.

...Calling somebody partisan is not much of a defense to the current culture of corruption offered by Republican leadership these days.

Delay, Rove, Frist, Bush, Cheney, and many of their associates are lining their pockets at public expense and augmenting their own power by violating the law. All Americans should demand better from their public servants. Democrats who point out this corruption aren't hacks, THEY'RE PATRIOTS!

Fri Oct 7 2005 1:30 PM

When you try and come off as concerned over the law, but that concern only extends to members of the opposing party, your a partisen hack.

Fri Oct 7 2005 4:26 PM

How about discussing the issue, instead of calling names?

I'm for enforcing the law. At this point in history, there is much more corruption on the Republican side than on the Democratic side--especially where party LEADERSHIP IS CONCERNED.

Now, instead of calling me names, how about joining me in calling for more ethical Republican leadership. I continue to say America deserves better.

As I stated earlier, the Republican party has better leaders in its own ranks. I mentioned Snowe and McCain. I'd add Specter and former Republican Jeffords to that list. These people put principle before party. That's what this country needs.

Sat Oct 8 2005 10:56 AM

Thanks for proving my point.

Sat Oct 8 2005 2:21 PM

Why are you dancing in the end zone?

Your team just lost the game!

Sat Oct 8 2005 4:31 PM

Tom, you're having a conversation with an Eliza program. It's just some teenage keyboard warrior running an algorithm in his head that's designed to waste your time.

Sat Oct 8 2005 10:20 PM

Dave:

Bush sucks. I hope he goes down in an orange jumpsuit and gets bufooed in jail by the D.C. Sniper.

Mon Oct 10 2005 3:47 AM

Paul,

you may be right. Apparently the spelling upgrade is still on the drawing board.

Mon Oct 10 2005 11:20 AM

How about proper capitalization? Any news when that might be in?

Mon Oct 10 2005 2:03 PM

I'm a jazz musician. Writing creatively is similar to an act of improvisation. If you study and know the rules, you can artfully violate them later.

However if you never learn the rules, your wrong notes will just make you sound stupid.

Bottom line: grammar and spelling really don't matter much if you have something intelligent to say. However if you don't, your lack of fundamentals can underline what a fool you really are.

Tue Oct 11 2005 5:05 PM