Liberty University Football

November 18, 2005 7:10 PM

Jerry Falwell is obsessed with football. When I was there 10 years ago, he was very clear about his vision: He wants Liberty University to be the evangelical version of Notre Dame, and to do that, he needs a damn fine football team.

Well, that hasn't been working out. Despite funelling $7.4 million into the program last year, they only won 1 game all season.

So Falwell sacked the athletic director, the football coach, and two of his lieutenants.

"I'm 72. I don't have much time to get the football program in the Top 20."

If Falwell does make a great football program before he dies, and it becomes a stepping stone to the NFL.. what will he teach his students about working on NFL Sunday?

A tough theological question.

More from the archive in Religion.

Liberty University Football (11.18.2005)

Next Entry: Wal-Mart admits it's not changing at all (11.21.2005)
Previous Entry: Jim Cramer goes crazy for Wal-Mart! (11.18.2005)

Jim asks, what would Falwell teach his students about working on Sundays?

I suppose you'd just have to ask Sam Gado, new starting running back for the Green Bay Packers:

“Many guys work hard, especially at this level, and many guys have talent, but for me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I have to believe that my steps were ordered,” Gado said. “I think that as Christians we carry the name of Christ in whatever we do and we’re supposed to do it as if Christ were doing it because, essentially, he is doing it through us … If this is God’s will for me to be, and this really sounds weird for me to be saying it, the starting running back, then it’s going to happen.”

3 touchdowns and 103 yards rushing last Sunday. Gives new meaning to the phrase "Touchdown Jesus".

But this begs the question...you'd think with all that god cred going for them, Liberty U could've won more than just 1 lousy game last season, no? They just need to pray harder I suppose.

Sat Nov 19 2005 10:30 PM

perpetual slacker:

Too bad for Jerry that he's gotta compete for talent with VaTech.

Keep up the fight(s), Jim, and thanks for reading my blog!

Mon Nov 21 2005 6:51 AM

cory:

how about Jeff Bowden for the vacant coaching position he has worn out his welcome at Florida State.

Mon Nov 28 2005 3:36 PM

Matt:

Jim's reference to Liberty "funnelling $7.4 million into the program last year" is indicative of the ignorance that permeates his post on the Liberty University football program. If Jim did his research, he would know that the Liberty University Athletic Department lost that amount of money - accross several sports - despite appearing in the Sweet 16 in women's basketball, having an All-American in Track and Field, winning 30+ games in baseball, etc. Furthermore, if Jim knew anything about Dr. Falwell (despite "being there" 10 years ago"), he would know that Dr. Falwell does not condemn working on Sundays - indeed, Liberty schedules home baseball games on the Liberty campus on Sundays. If you wish to criticize, Jim, feel free. All I ask is that you exhibit a modicum of maturity and have the integrity to to accurately describe the target of your criticism.

Sun Dec 4 2005 5:23 PM

Bert Ferkner:

It's not really that tough of a theological question, man. (1) The sabbath is on saturday and (2) the NT is plain that the sabbath laws are no longer required for salvation.

Odd you would choose such a poor point to mock Falwell on, given all of his other gaffes.

Sun Jan 1 2006 12:19 AM

zb:

bert makes the best point, the sabbath is not on sunday as most of the world believes, but is actually on saturday

Wed May 17 2006 12:07 PM