SENATE IS OURS! RUMSFELD RESIGNED!

November 8, 2006 12:54 PM

Bush press conference in 5 minutes.

Bush, 1pm: "Why all the glum faces?" -- I believe that was rhetorical.

"What happened is the election is over, and the Democrats won."

More from the archive in Elections.

SENATE IS OURS! RUMSFELD RESIGNED! (11.08.2006)

Next Entry: Harry Reid: "the first order of business" will be focused on Iraq (11.11.2006)
Previous Entry: The People Have Spoken: GET OUT OF HELL NOW! (11.08.2006)

Graeme:

At this moment I feel a sense of strong hope for this country that I haven't had in a very longtime.

As a a Canadian living in the U.S., it has been very difficult not to leave this country...but it is an amazing feeling to see what democracy can do.

The people have spoken, and now they get to clean up the mess.

Wed Nov 8 2006 1:30 PM

Newsweek analyst on MSNBC interpreted some of Bush's speech as indicating that he is no longer taking the advice of Cheney. That Cheney's support for Rumsfeld didn't waver. That Bush is essentially siding with the '41 team over the '43 team. Also, that Cheney opposed installing Gates as the new SecDef.

It almost seems like Bush is trying to stand on his own two feet for the first time in 6 years, and I find it astonishing. It makes me wonder how things may have gone for the last 6 years, if only Cheney had not been chosen to head up the search for Bush's VP. Rumsfeld may not have been the SecDef. The U.S. may not have invaded Iraq. Oh, the road not taken!

Wed Nov 8 2006 2:09 PM

Graeme:

Paul,

It sounds as if you're not doling out any responsibility Bush's way. He is not as much the evil genius type as Cheney and Rumsfeld, but he is equally and moreso to blame.

They all deserve to go to prison, and I have no empathy/sympathy for the man. He made his bed, and destroyed this country like he has done any other time he has run a company.

He is a failure, and everything he has done proves it. Stand on his own two feet? He obviously doesnt know when the good time to get out is. The only thing I can imagine him saying that would make me happy would be "Well I lasted 6 years. Sorry but its time for me to go."

-G

-G

Wed Nov 8 2006 2:22 PM

I would phrase it differently than "trying to stand on his own two feet." Rather, GWB is running to daddy's old handlers to bail him out of the chaos his Cheney team has created.

Unfortunately this means all the old disgraced Iran/Contra retreads are being given power again. Ironically, they look somewhat credible compared to the freaks they're replacing. Now that is sorry state of affairs.

But, the GOP paradigm has been convincingly shattered, and along with it should follow the restoration of some degree of accountability. It may unfold slowly until after 2008, when I would hope investigations on Iraq get turbocharged and hearings with teeth start bringing people to justice.

Whatever happens in the coming months and years, today I feel incredibly proud of our nation. When democracy works properly, it truly is a chest-swellingly prideful and glorious thing to behold.

So cheers America. Cheers to the end of the Republican Revolution and to the return of shared power. The very reason we sought our independance in the beginning.

Wed Nov 8 2006 4:38 PM

Mike of the Great White North:

Good Morning America... thanks for making me feel theres hope.

Mornin NJ, morning R... hows the hangover?

Wed Nov 8 2006 6:57 PM

NJGuardsman:

CONGRATS!!!!

To the victors go the spoils; the Dems/Libs articulated their points and the American people responded.
So pop the champagne/mimosa/JD party on – you all deserve it!
So now YOU have no excuse, now the people will hold YOUR feet to the fire!
Republicans lost both houses more so then Democrats won, Repubs lost BECAUSE they wanted to be more like Democrats – Dems won BECAUSE the fielded “CONSERVATIVE” “CENTRIST” candidates and even with that you all won some if not most of these races with the slimmest of margins BUT a win is a win so GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT.

But notice that the Repubs didn’t fight in court didn’t demand recounts didn’t delay, they accepted their losses graciously as opposed to their Democrat counterparts when the tables are turned.

Is this our first loss, no (nor will it be the last). Am I disappointed – YES, am I disillusioned about Repubs – YES, am I going away to cry in a corner, throw up my hands and say it’s all lost, am I going to hang it up? NO! NO! NO! In fact I’m digging in and I will fight harder because I believe that the Conservative is the best way: smaller government, lower taxes, control of my own retirement (SS), Capitalism/Free Market and tax revenue (up 250 Billion) and (145 Million people working), unemployment (4.4%), wages rising at about 7% prove it.

Bush has moved to the left with Rummy’s resignation (he’s thrown you a bone) but you’re not going to be satisfied with him – just like blood in the water for sharks
I hope that the Repubs will learn I hope they took notes; our downfall is that we wanted to be “liked” by the other side of the isle. When will the Repubs learn: NO QUARTER GIVEN – NO QUARTER TAKEN and you people do it to us every time.

Now Pelosi has stated that impeachment is off the table, lets see if that holds true.

I believe that illegal immigration will destroy this country. I believe that we should militarize the border (both of them). I believe that terrorism is the greatest “outside” threat that my nation faces. I believe activist judges will destroy the Constitution and “redefining marriage” will do severe damage to what we call the family unit.

I know it’s going to happen so be forewarned you are going to slap price controls on certain industries, spend large amounts of tax $ on investigations, let the Bush tax cuts lapse and when these things happen lets see who holds true power.

Now the stage is set now it’s time to see the next “Reagan” take the lead it’s just a matter of who and when.

Like I said Congrats

Sat Nov 11 2006 11:41 AM

NJGuardsman:

CONGRATS!!!!

So pop the champagne/mimosa/JD party on – you all deserve it!
So now YOU have no excuse, now the people will hold YOUR feet to the fire!

I believe that illegal immigration will destroy this country. I believe that we should militarize the border (both of them). I believe that terrorism and China are the greatest “outside” threats that my nation faces. I believe activist judges will destroy the Constitution and “redefining marriage” will do severe damage to what we call the family unit.

Like I said Congrats