The results of a poll taken during the month of June by the First Amendment Center:
- 75% think the right to speak freely is "essential."
- 49% think the First Amendment "goes too far." It was 39% last year, and 25% two years ago.
- 48% think the government should be allowed to "monitor religious groups in the interest of national security, even if that means infringing upon the religious freedom of the group's members."
- 46% think the Constitution should be changed to ban flag burning.
- 43% think newspapers should not be allowed to freely criticize the military during war. It was 31% last year.
- 42% think the government "should have more authority to monitor Muslims."
- 40% think professors should NOT be allowed to critize the military during war.
- 30% think newspapers should NOT be allowed to publish freely.